Our happy beginning

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pregnancy Update

I had my 26 week appointment yesterday (actually it was 26 weeks and 4 days).  My doctor had us do an ultrasound to make sure the small cyst on the baby's brain had shrunk or gone away.  As suspected it was completely gone.  The baby is measuring exactly on par with his estimated due date so that's encouraging (sort of... James did too and weighed 6 lbs 6 oz at 3 1/2 weeks early... If I carry this baby until he chooses to come I might be birthing a giant!!!).  I can't believe 10 weeks from this point in James' pregnancy I was giving birth to him!  I had to take that disgusting glucose test yesterday.  It was kinda like drinking otter pop juice (way too sugary for me) and it made Matthew hyperactive for an eternity afterward.  My doctor's nurse called with the results today.  My glucose levels are great (yippee!) but I have and iron difficiency.  I wasn't exactly surprised since I was with James too but I'm not too happy about having to swallow one more pill a day.  I'm going to try to increase the amount of iron rich foods I eat (spinach and such).  I still refuse to eat red meat (which I will never again consume so long as I live) but there are other sources of iron out there. 

Seeing the baby and how big he's getting on that ultrasound screen is making me realize how fast he'll be getting here!  I still have quite a bit of preparations to do before he arrives!  I need to organize all my baby clothes (which are currently shoved into a zillion different totes in the garage not at all according to size), I have some sewing to do (nursing cover, car-seat drape, a lightweight robe for nursing and such, quilts for the crib and James' bed, etc), sanitizing of all my current baby items (crib, buggy, toys, carseat, etc), and I got a bunch of stuff to buy!  We will need another dresser (James' clothes barely fit into the one we have and there is no way I can force baby clothes in there too!), I need a good baby carrier of some sort (since I have a 2 year old that will require me to be much more active than I was when he was a baby), and either a bouncer seat or a swing (both of which I never had for James but know will be greatly needed for this baby).  It adds up pretty quick and it's a little concerning to have this many purchases for a baby on top of all the holiday expenses but as always, I know things will work out. 

I am still planning to have this baby as naturally as possible.  I am still very much convinced that as long as I don't have to be induced (and strapped to a bed) I will be able to go without an epidural this delivery.  Everyone I know who has given birth naturally says the recovery time is incredibly faster.  Since I recover so slowly from any sort of anesthetic I am more than motivated to give it my best shot.  I have been told by a large amount of women that this is a ridiculous goal but what many people fail to realize is that I have an insanely high pain tolerance!  I am quite committed to try it and the more I'm told I won't be able to the more I commit to do it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

James at 14th Months Old

James at 14th Months Old
Cool Dude!